Origin of Street Names

 

Abigail Street N/A
Abigail Street Named after Francis Abigail, who subdivided land in the area; possibly the person who was a NSW politician and Justice of the Peace (1840-1921).
Ady Street Named after Adelaide, second wife of pioneer Jules Francois de Sales Joubert, (1824-1907), first chairman of Hunters Hill Council (1861-1862), entrepreneur and developer.
Alexandra Street Named by Hunters Hill Council after the Princess of Wales, later Queen Alexandra (1844-1925), wife of King Edward V11.
Alfred Street Probably named after Alfred John Clarke, second son of William Clarke who owned land in the area.
Ambrose Street Named after dental surgeon and chemist Ambrose Foss, circa 1838, who owned land in the area.
Angelo Street Named after instrument maker Angelo Tornaghi, (1823-1906), Hunters Hill Mayor in 1879 and 1882-1883.
Aspinall Place Named in 1916 after Herbert J Aspinall, Hunters Hill Mayor (1903-1904) and family who lived in the area.
Aston Street Named after Aston Watkins, brother of solicitor John Leo Watkins, parliamentary draughtsman, who built “Llanthony” in Everard Street in 1885 and subdivided adjacent land, upon which the street stands.
Auburn Street N/A
Augustine Street Named after early Christian theologian, canonised as saint; probably because street is located close to Villa Maria (Holy Name of Mary) Catholic Church, Mary Street, opened in 1871.
Avenue Road Possibly descriptive name; possibly originally part of the same street as The Avenue, which was bisected by the construction of the Burns Bay Road freeway in the 1960s.
Barons Crescent Named after Jane Cuneo, nee Baron, wife of Italian-born stonemason and Hunters Hill pioneer, John Cuneo, who built the Garibaldi Hotel, circa 1860s, a retail building and a former residence and inn, corner of Ferry and Alexandra Streets.
Batemans Road Named after Robert Bateman or Batman, landowner in the area, circa 1840, said to have been a lessee of Parramatta River punt at Bedlam Point.
Bayview Crescent Probably named because of view of Wallumatta Bay.
Blake Avenue N/A
Bland Street Named after pioneer, Dr William Bland, (1789-1868), emancipated convict, associated with Tarban Creek Asylum, opened 1838.
Blaxland Street Possibly named in honour of Gregory Blaxland who, along with William Lawson and William Wentworth, led exploration that discovered a route over the Blue Mountains in 1813; 1903 was the first year this street was mentioned.
Bonnefin Road Named after naval Captain Charles Bonnefin, whose daughter Louise married Frenchman and Hunters Hill pioneer, Didier Numa Joubert, (1816-1881) wine merchant and developer, older brother of Jules Joubert, who owned land there.
Boronia Avenue Named after nearby Boronia Park, after the plant Boronia ledifolia, now all but locally extinct.
Brookes Street Named after Henry Brookes who attended first meeting of newly formed Municipal Council of Hunters Hill.
Brown Lane Named after local resident Henry Brown who contributed one third of the cost of building Hunters Hill Public School, established 1880.
Cambridge Street N/A
Campbell Street Possibly named after William B Campbell, Hunters Hill Council Chairman, (1864 and 1866-67) and/or Francis B Campbell, also Hunters Hill Council Chairman (1865) and Chief Administrator of Tarban Creek Asylum (1848-1867).
Centenary Avenue N/A
Charlotte Street Named after, Charlotte, family member of free emigrant and shipwright, John Clarke, circa 1840s, whose shipbuilding business, circa 1830s, was located nearby.
Chevalier Crescent Possibly named circa 1990s after Rue Du Chevalier de Saint George in Hunters Hill’s twin town of Le Vesinet in Paris.
Church Street Named after Figtree Anglican Chapel and Schoolhouse, built in 1857, which stood there and was later moved to a tennis court site in Figtree Road in 1962 and became St Mark’s Anglican Church.
Clarke Road Named after John Clarke, free emigrant and shipwright, who was granted 16 hectares in the area in 1835.
Collingwood Street N/A
Cowell Lane Probably named after the Cowell Family, early landowners in the area.
Cowell Street Probably named after the Cowell Family.
Crescent Street Probably named because of its arc-like shape.
Croissy Avenue Named after house situated nearby called “Croissy”, originally “Adraville”, one of the German prefabricated timber houses brought from the Paris Exhibition by Swiss immigrant, Leonard Etienne Bordier, in 1854 and demolished in 1969.
Crown Street N/A
Cullens Lane Named after Irish stonemason, builder and developer, Felix Cullen, born 1801, Hunters Hill Council Alderman (1886-1891) who built a house there; Cullen also built the nearby former Gladstone Hotel in 1887, corner of Mount and Alexandra Streets.
D’Aram Street Named after Frenchman Melchior Viel D’Aram, who owned six acres of bushland in the area until around 1875.
De Milhau Road Named after French revolutionary exile, Count Gabriel de Milhau, (1819-1893), Chairman of the Council of the Borough of Hunters Hill (1863), entrepreneur and land speculator who built houses in the area.
Dick Street N/A
Downing Place Named by Hunters Hill Council in 1981 in memory of long-time local resident, Francis George (Frank) Downing, (1907 –1978), ALP member of the NSW Legislative Assembly (1953-1968).
Durham Street Named after George Durham, accountant and prominent local citizen who lived in the area, circa 1870s.
Earl Street N/A
Earnshaw Street Named after the Earnshaw family who lived in the area, circa 1860.
Edgecliff Road Possibly descriptive name of topography.
Elgin Street N/A
Ellesmere Avenue Named after house in the area built in 1860 by Sir William Owen, who called it after his family’s property in Shropshire, UK.
Ernest Lane Named after Ernest, one of Jules Joubert’s sons.
Ernest Street Named after Ernest, one of Jules Joubert’s sons.
Euthella Avenue Named after house there called after a locality in south-west Queensland, possibly named from an unknown Aboriginal word.
Everard Street Named after James Everard, emancipated convict and a police constable for Lane Cove District (1796-1800), who received a 30-acre land grant in the 1790s.
Farnell Street Named after early settler, James Squire Farnell, (1825-1888), Hunters Hill Alderman (circa 1861) and NSW Premier (1887-1888).
Ferdinand Street Named after Ferdinand, one of Jules Joubert’s sons.
Fern Road On site of early picnic ground, called Fern Bay Pleasure Gardens; probably named after plentiful growth of nearby ferns.
Fernbank Avenue Probably named because of nearby bank of ferns.
Ferry Street Originally called Wharf Road but changed to Ferry Street because road led to Hunters Hill Wharf where first Hunters Hill ferry on Parramatta River called in.
Figtree Road Located on former Figtree Farm land, owned by pioneer Mary Reibey (1777-1855), emancipated convict, merchant, shipowner and trader; named after Port Jackson fig tree next to farmhouse.
RD Fitzgerald Walk Named after poet and surveyor, Robert David FitzGerald AM OBE (1902–1987) who lived nearby.
Flagstaff Street Named after colonial flagstaff which stood in vicinity; used for relaying government semaphore signals between Sydney and Parramatta.
Foggitts Walk Named after surveyor, William Henry Foggitt, of the NSW Housing Board on whose land houses in the area were developed in the 1920s.
Foss Street Named after Ambrose Foss (c1803-1862), chemist, druggist and dentist in Sydney and landowner in the area.
Francis Street N/A
Franki Avenue Named after General Manager of nearby Mort’s Dock and Engineering Company, James Peter Franki, (1843–1924).
Fryar Place N/A
Futuna Lane Named after the Pacific Island of Futuna upon which French Marist priest, St Peter Chanel, (1803-1841), was killed; located close to St Peter Chanel Catholic Church, built 1890-1901.
Futuna Street Named after the Pacific Island of Futuna.
Gale Street Named after schoolmaster Robert Vining Gale (1818-1891), Mayor of Hunters Hill (1872-73 and 1876) and Town Clerk (1876-1887).
Garrick Avenue Named after the Garrick family who lived in the area; Mrs Garrick was Madeline, Jules Joubert’s daughter.
Gaza Avenue Named to commemorate Australians serving in the First World War in Palestine; land previously owned by War Service Homes Commission.
George Street Possibly named after a British monarch.
Gladesville Road Road leading to Gladesville, named after emancipated convict James Glade (1771-1848), who purchased land in district.
Gladstone Avenue Part of 15-acre NSW Property Investment Company subdivision in 1882, called Sunnyside Estate.
Glenview Crescent Named after nearby house built by pioneer steamboat owner, politician and Hunters Hill Mayor, Charles Edward Jeanneret (1834-1898), who developed land in the area.
Glenview Road Named after nearby house, built by Charles Edward Jeanneret.
Gray Street Possibly named after Arthur Gray JP, who bought land in the area in 1913.
Heath Avenue Possibly named after local heathland.
Herberton Avenue N/A
High Street Two possibilities – the street lies in an elevated position or after many streets in English towns which bear this name.
Hillcrest Avenue Possibly named after early 20th century Federation cottage, built there.
Howard Place Named in 1975 after Heck Howard who owned nearby commercial garage, circa 1960.
Hunter Street Probably named after Captain John Hunter (1737-1821), from whom Hunters Hill derives its name.
Huntleys Point Road Road leading to Huntley’s Point, named by Australian Gas Light Company’s chief engineer, Alfred Reynolds Huntley, who emigrated from England in 1836 and who built the first house in the area in 1851.
Isler Street Named after local landowner.
James Street Biblical Saint’s name; located close to St Joseph’s College and Villa Maria Church.
Jeanneret Avenue Named after Charles Edward Jeanneret, who built numerous houses in the area.
John Street Biblical Saint’s name; located close to Villa Maria Church.
Johnson Street N/A
Joly Parade Named after Father Claude Joly, superintendent of construction of nearby Villa Maria Church.
Joubert Street Named after Didier Numa Joubert, who owned nearby Figtree Farm which he purchased from Mary Reibey.
Junction Street Possibly a descriptive name; it leads to a junction with Victoria Road.
Jupiter Street Possibly named because of its proximity to another “planet” street, Mars, named after the colonial Field of Mars upon which land it earlier stood.
Kareelah Road Named after house built nearby, circa 1864, possibly from unknown Aboriginal name.
Karrabee Avenue Possibly named after Aboriginal word meaning “land”.
Keeyuga Road Possibly named after Aboriginal word, meaning “high places”; Keeyuga is a pastoral property in Victoria.
Kelly Street Possibly named after Percival Kelly, who purchased land in the area in 1913.
King Street Possibly named after a British monarch.
Kokera Street Possibly named after Japanese word, meaning chopped wood or wood chips.
Leo Street Named after solicitor John Leo Watkins, parliamentary draughtsman, who built “Llanthony” in Everard Street in 1885 and subdivided adjacent land, upon which the street stands.
Le Vesinet Drive Named circa 1990s after Hunters Hill’s twin town, Le Vesinet in Paris.
Lloyd Avenue Named by Hunters Hill Council in 1913 in appreciation of medical services by Dr H Sanderson Lloyd, who practised in the area for about 25 years.
Lot Lane N/A
Luke Street Biblical Saint’s name; located close to Villa Maria Church.
Lyndhurst Crescent Named after nearby house.
Lyndhurst Walk Named after nearby house.
Madeline Street Named after Madeline, one of Jules Joubert’s daughters.
Makinson Street Named after solicitor Henry Massey Mackinson who owned land there, circa 1880.
Manning Road Named in memory of Tarban Creek Asylum superintendent, Dr Frederick Norton Manning (1839-1903).
Margaret Street Named after family member of John Clarke
Mark Street Biblical Saint’s name; located close to Villa Maria Church.
Mars Street Probably named after The Field of Mars.
Martha Street Possibly named after ship, Martha, which brought Jules Joubert to Sydney in 1839.
Martin Street Possibly named after 19th century local resident, called Martin.
Massey Street Possibly named after Henry Massey Mackinson who owned land there, circa 1880.
Massey Lane Possibly named after Henry Massey Mackinson who owned land there, circa 1880.
Matthew Street Biblical Saint’s name; located close to Villa Maria Church.
Mayfield Avenue Named after Arthur Mayfield Merrington, who bought land there in 1946, which was later subdivided and sold for housing development.
Merrington Place Named after John Cossar Merrington MBE, Hunters Hill Mayor (1966-1967), and alderman (1962-1983).
Meyers Avenue Possibly named after Louis A Meyers, Hunters Hill Mayor (1926-1927, 1936-1939).
McBride Avenue Named after Sydney tailor, Bernard McBride, Hunters Hill Mayor (1892-1893), who bought “The Haven” (1 McBride Avenue) c.1886; his family lived there until 1918.
Milling Street Named after Catherine Milling who immigrated as a free settler to Australia in 1811 and married convict Bernard Fitzpatrick; mother of Ambrose Fitzpatrick, Mayor of Hunters Hill (1875-1876).
Moorefield Avenue Named after house, “Moorefield”, built between 1881 and 1884; the avenue lies within the house’s former grounds which were subdivided in 1908.
Mortimer Lewis Drive Named after Colonial Architect, Mortimer William Lewis, (1796-1879) who designed nearby Gladesville Asylum.
Mount Street Originally named Drummoyne Road but, because of confusion with the nearby suburb of Drummoyne, was changed to Mount Street in recognition of steep climb at both Parramatta and Lane Cove River ends.
Mount Morris Street Originally named Ell Street.
Muirbank Avenue Named after Scottish political convict and lawyer, Thomas Muir, (1765–1799), initially believed responsible but later disproved as person who named Hunters Hill.
Nelson Parade Possibly named after local storekeeper, Frederick Nelson; part of seven-hectare Sunnyside Estate subdivision, in 1882.
Nemba Street Named after house demolished to make way for Figtree Bridge approaches.
North Parade Possibly named because it is a north facing street; parade is an English word for street.
Note Street N/A
Northumberland Street N/A
Pains Road N/A
Park Road Named because Boronia Park lies adjacent.
Passy Avenue Named after house ”Passy”, home of the first French Consul; name being district of Paris.
Passy Walk Named after house “Passy”, situated nearby.
Paul Street Biblical Saint’s name; located close to Villa Maria Church.
Pitt Street Named after William Pitt the Younger, 1759-1806; British prime minister (1783–1801, 1804–06) during the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic wars.
Pittwater Road Southern section of road to North Ryde.
Prince Edward Parade Named after Queen Victoria’s eldest son, Albert Edward, 1841-1910; became King Edward V11, 1901-1910; part of seven-hectare Sunnyside Estate subdivision.
Prince Edward Street Named after Queen Victoria’s eldest son, Albert Edward.
Prince George Parade Possibly named after another of Queen Victoria’s sons, Leopold George Duncan Albert, 1853-1884; part of seven-hectare Sunnyside Estate subdivision.
Princes Street Named after British royalty.
Punt Road Once part of the Great North Road; named after road leading to Bedlam Point where punt used to ferry passengers across Parramatta River to Abbotsford.
Ramleh Street Named after Ramleh in Palestine (now known as Ramla, Israel), base of the Australian Light Horse Brigade in the First World War; Ramleh Street and surrounds were all war veterans/service homes constructed after the Second World War.
Ramleh Lane Named after Ramleh in Palestine.
Reiby Road Named after Mary Reibey, who owned former Figtree Farm on land there, named after fig tree which stood nearby
Reserve Street Named because road lies adjacent to Tarban Creek Reserve
Richmond Crescent Formerly named James Crescent but changed in late 20th century to Richmond Crescent to avoid confusion with James Street; coincidentally, house in James Street is called “Richmond”.
Rocher Avenue Named after French Marist Father, Jean-Louis Rocher (1809–1894), co-founder of the Catholic community in Hunters Hill.
Rooke Lane Named after James M Rooke, Hunters Hill Mayor (1900-1902).
Rooke Street Named after James M Rooke.
Ryde Road Road leading to Ryde, named after town of Ryde on Isle of Wight, UK; may have been adopted from GM Pope, who came from the Isle of Wight who opened ‘Ryde Store’.
St Ives Avenue Named by Simpson Family who subdivided St Ives Estate in 1929; St Ives was a French bishop (1040-1115).
St Malo Avenue Possibly named circa 1990s because of Frenchification of Pulpit Point Estate because of Hunters Hill’s connection Le Vesinet.
Salter Street Named after solicitor Thomas Salter who settled in Hunters Hill in 1875 and became one of the area’s largest landowners.
Sea Street N/A
Serpentine Road Possibly named because of its irregular shape.
Sherwin Street N/A
Short Street N/A
Stanley Lane Named after Stanley, a son of Charles Edward Jeanneret.
Stanley Road Named after Stanley, a son of Charles Edward Jeanneret.
RD Stuckey Walk Named after Hunters Hill Town Clerk (1935-1967), Roy Darrell Stuckey OBE.
Sunnyside Street N/A
Tarban Street Located close to Tarban Creek, a possible corruption of an Aboriginal word, Tharbine, meaning fish or fishing place.
The Avenue Descriptive name; possibly part of the same street as Avenue Road, which was bisected by the construction of the Burns Bay Road freeway in the 1960s.
The Close A descriptive name.
The Point Road Formerly known as Onions Point Road, leading to Woolwich Point.
Thorn Street N/A
Tiree Avenue Named after a nearby house called “Tiree”; an early owner of the house, Captain Archibald Maclean, came from Tiree in Argyllshire, Scotland.
Toocooya Lane Named by solicitor, NSW politician and Hunters Hill Mayor (1913 and 1917-1924), and alderman for 23 years, William Archibald Windeyer MBE (1871-1943), supposedly after Aboriginal King of the district around his family’s home on the Hunter River.
Toocooya Road Named by William Archibald Windeyer, who developed land in the area.
Unwins Lane Named in 1977 after Ralph Unwin, Hunters Hill Mayor (1924-1925) and alderman for 20 years.
Valentia Street Possibly named after an ancient region in France, possibly because of early French family connections, such as the Jouberts, with Hunters Hill.
Venus Street Possibly named because of its proximity to other “planet” streets, Mars and Jupiter.
Vernon Street Possibly named after architect WL Vernon, who designed houses in the area, circa 1890.
Victoria Road Initially part of the Great North Road; later named after Queen Victoria (1819-1901)
View Street Possibly named for early view of Lane Cove River.
Viret Street Named after Francis Charles Viret, first on staff of Governor Ralph Darling and then officer in Colonial Secretary’s Office; a signatory on 1860 petition for the establishment of Hunters Hill Municipality.
Wallace Avenue N/A
Wandella Avenue Possibly named after species of cricket, found in eastern Australia and elsewhere.
Waruda Place N/A
Werambie Street Originally called Monte Cristo Street.
William Street N/A
Windeyer Avenue Named after William Archibald Windeyer.
Woodward Road N/A
Woolwich Road Road leading to Woolwich, named after original Woolwich in London, which in colonial times was a working class dockyard district on the River Thames.
Wybalena Road Named after place on Flinders Island in Tasmania – Aboriginal word meaning “resting place”, where Charles Edward Jeanneret’s father worked as a doctor.
Yerton Avenue Named after one of the German prefabricated timber houses, “Yerton”, later renamed “The Chalet”, which Swiss immigrant, Leonard Etienne Bordier (1821-1861), brought from Paris Exhibition in 1854 and erected in the area.

 

  • Avenue – tree-lined street
  • Close –a street without through access
  • Crescent – arc-shaped street

 

Every effort has been made to confirm the accuracy of the information.

The author welcomes any corrections or additional information.

 

Compiled by Chris Schofield